Friday, July 10, 2009

Philippines fish - a couple of photos from the Boac fish market

One of the constants about living in Marinduque is fish - power comes and goes, you can buy beef on a Sunday, but even on a bad day you can be sure that there will be fish at the market. Today I took my camera with me and snapped a couple of photos. It was slightly late, so the selection wasn't as big as usual, but still interesting.


The fish on the left of this photo, looking like mullet, are known locally as 'Bangus' and are very popular - I haven't treid them yet. The ones at the centre are Maya-Maya (red) and Lapu-Lapu (brown), two species of grouper. The slices in the pan to the top left are my soon-to-be supper.


an overhead shot - I have no idea what the fish looking like a big red mudskipper is, but it's bigger cousin now lives in my stomach - and it was really good! The red fish central to the photo is a maya maya, and the silver/blue ones next to it are small tuna.



Fish is very fresh, and suprisingly affordable. My fish today cost 120 pesos a kilo, 140 for the whole fish. Couldn't get those prices in Europe for sure!